Wednesday 1 January 2014

End of Year Survey : 2013



The End of Year Survey is hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner

I cannot believe that 2013 is over. I read 130 book in 2013 and the time has come to sit down and reflect on all the wonderful stories I have read. Let me know what were your favourite reads this year.

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
It is so hard to just pick one book. There were so many books that I adored in 2013, so I’m going to cheat and pick a few.  These Broken Stars, All Our Yesterdays, Crown of Midnight and Siege andStorm were a few of my favorites this year.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was really excited to read The Girl with the Iron Touch.  I love the Steampunk Chronicles, this book was good but not as good as the others in the series.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 
The Burning Sky completely suspired me. It was a fantastic book and the story was not what I was expecting. Definitely check this one out because its reads like a cross between Harry Potter and She’s the Man.

 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
The Fault in Our Stars. I think I made everyone I know read this book.

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Across the Universe trilogy. I read all the books one after another. The series was fast paced and kept on pulling out shocking twist after shocking twist. So good. If you love sci-fi then check this series out.

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Cristin Terrill just blew my socks off with All Our Yesterdays. It was a mind-blowing debut that I couldn’t stop thinking about long after I finished the book. I can’t wait for her next book. Also Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner who wrote TheseBroken Stars, a heartbreakingly romantic space opera that is not to be missed.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
One Good EarlDeserves a Lover. I don’t tend to read a lot of historical romance, however this year I heard great things about Sarah MacLean’s Rules of Scoundrels series. I decided to check it out and I’m so glad that I did because I fell in love with the characters and their stories.

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
There were so many this year. The 5thWave, All Our Yesterdays, These Broken Stars, Clockwork Princess and Crown of Midnight. All these books were loaded with so much emotion.

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I will probably read The Dream Thieves again. I will probably be breaking my heart again reading a certain almost kiss.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
My favorite cover has to be These Broken Stars. I love the dress that Lilac wears. Now if I could only find one to buy. I also love the cover of Champion and The Achieved.
11. Most memorable character in 2013? 
Sturmhound from Siege and Strom. I love this privateer and all of his confident ways. Basically I need more Strumhound.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
There were a few that were written beautifully. The First Third, The Fault in OurStars and Perfect Ruin were gorgeously written.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 
The Fault in Our Stars was just a highly charged emotional read. I couldn’t stop thinking about the book and its characters. It’s a story that I will remember forever. There is no way you can read this story and not be moved by it.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 
I finally got around to reading the Gallagher Girls Series. It started of slow but I loved all these spy girls.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations” from The Fault in Our Stars.  I also love the After passage from Siege and Storm.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
The Longest book I read was Clockwork Princess. I still haven’t recovered from this book. I think the shortest book I read was The First Third.

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Um that chapter in These Broken Stars. Can you say heart shattering? Also the end of Clockwork Princess.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I love all the relationships between Blue and the boys in The Dream Thieves, especially between Gansey and Blue. Also the dynamics between Celaena, Chaol and Dorian in Crown of Midnight.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Coldest Girlin Coldtown by Holly Black.  Its what a vampire book should be. Dark and filled with blood.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Falconer by Elizabeth May. So glad I gave it a go.  Killer heroine and fae in historical Scotland.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
I read a lot of YA this year.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Sturmhound from Siege and Storm wins everything. Also Finn from All Our Yesterdays and Titus from the Burning Sky.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
All Our Yesterdays and These Broken Stars. If you haven’t read these books yet what are you waiting for? Get on that.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The Madman's Daughter was dark and gothic. Also The Achieved. I’ve never read a book like it. I cannot wait for The Unbound.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Defiently, Maybe in Love which was a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I read this entire book with a smile on my face.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
The Fault in Our Stars. I guess there is no surprise there. Also Out of the Easy also has a powerful scene that is heart breaking.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood and Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins. Both these books are fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment